MEGHAN Markle's sister has blasted the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's 'exploitative and offensive' Remembrance Day photoshoot.
Twice-divorced Samantha Markle, 56, spoke out after the couple were forced to deny a Remembrance Sunday photo shoot was a "publicity stunt" after a backlash.
⚠️Read our Meghan and Harry blog for the latest news on the Royal couple
And in a blistering interview, Samantha said Meghan's battle to delay her privacy court battle for almost a year over a "confidential" matter – despite her dad warning he could "die tomorrow" – is just a "game" to her.
The Duchess of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Mail on Sunday, for releasing a letter she wrote to her estranged father Thomas Markle.
Speaking to Dan Wootton on TalkRADIO, Samantha said: "I think what is most glaring about any Remembrance Day is not only is important to remember those who have sacrificed, but as a reminder that life is precious and short and we should certainly pay gratitude.
"Seize the day, seize the moment, apologise and make good with those who are alive who have given us so much because after all, we are finite.
"I only hope that she would wake up to that but that doesn't seem to be the case."
She added that she was "a bit shocked" that the couple would show their gratitude "by an exploitative photo opportunity" – and said the display was "gaudy".
"I thought it was not only opportunistic, but I thought it was quite sad that rather than paying true gratitude by continuing the legacy of honour, there would be a photo op," she said.
"It was highly inappropriate."
Harry, who served in the British Army for a decade, spoke of being shot at while serving in Afghanistan last week.
In an interview on military podcast Declassified, he said wearing the uniform is "among the greatest honours there are in life".
He said: "When I get asked about this period of my life, I draw from memories.
"I draw from what I remember and who I remember – like the first time we were shot at and who I was with, the casualties we saw, and those we saved, and the first medevac we escorted out of contact in a race against time.
"Once served, always serving – no matter what."
But he was this week forced into the position of defending himself after he and his wife were pictured laying flowers at the Los Angeles National Cemetery.
It happened after the couple's request for a wreath to be laid at the Cenotaph on their behalf was turned down because they no longer represent the monarchy.
The Queen was reportedly not told about her grandson's request.
Instead, Harry's wreath lay forgotten at the Royal British Legion's Kent HQ.
He was later pictured with his wife in LA, laying flowers picked from their garden at the graves of two Commonwealth soldiers – one from the Royal Australian Airforce and one from the Royals Canadian Artillery.
The couple quickly came under fire for the move, with Piers Morgan accusing them of using it as a "PR opportunity."
Asked by Dan if she'd call on her sister and Harry to say sorry, Samantha replied: "Absolutely. This has all been horrible and I think it should have been nipped in the bud.
"Any decent person would have, out of kindness and humanity, never allowed it to get this far."
A spokesman for the couple said: "It was important to the duke and duchess to be able to personally recognise Remembrance in their own way, to pay tribute to those who have served and to those who gave their lives."
Samantha also had strong words for Meghan's ongoing court battle.
A ten-day trial was set to take place in London on January 11 next year, with the 39-year-old possibly expected to give evidence in the witness box.
This has all been horrible and I think it should have been nipped in the bud.
But the trial has now been delayed.
The decision came after 76-year-old Thomas said he wanted to get the trial done "as quickly as possible" due to his ailing health – and was planning to travel to London for the High Court showdown.
The Duchess is seeking damages from the Mail on Sunday for alleged misuse of private information, breaching the Data Protection Act and infringement of copyright over five articles published in February 2019 which included extracts from a "private and confidential" letter to her father.
Publisher Associated Newspapers claimed Prince Harry's wife had herself leaked details of the letter to the media through friends – something she vehemently denies.
Samantha said the delay is simply a "game" to Meghan.
"To drag something out so long – I'm not going to suggest it's an agenda but I would think expediency would be important under the circumstances," she said.
"It just seems like such a game and I'm really not shocked she would do this."
Speaking from their LA mansion last month, the couple said they've used lockdown as an opportunity to enjoy time with their son.
Meghan said: "We are trying to embrace all the quality time we get with our son and embrace every moment of his growth and development."
Source: Read Full Article