MADELEINE McCann's parents say there's "still work to do" as a £11m missing probe is given an extra £300k in funding.
The welcome boost for Kate and Gerry was announced today by the Home Office more than 12 years after their daughter vanished.
Maddie was just three when she disappeared from her family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, on the night of May 3, 2007.
In a statement released on behalf of the family, spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: “Kate and Gerry have expressed their gratitude to the police for all the work they have done and continue to do in the search for their daughter.
'GIVES THEM HOPE'
"They are greatly encouraged that the Metropolitan Police still believe there is active work left to be done and they remain incredibly grateful to the Home Office for providing an extra budget for the investigation.”
He added: "It shows that officers are still doing everything they can to get a resolution after all this time. And it gives them hope that one day they may finally find out what happened to Madeleine."
Scotland Yard previously revealed that a "very small team" are working on the mystery around her disappearance, and have asked for more cash to pursue "active lines of inquiries".
It shows that officers are still doing everything they can to get a resolution after all this time. And it gives them hope that one day they may finally find out what happened to Madeleine
After a Portuguese inquiry into her disappearance foundered, the Yard opened Operation Grange in 2013 – so far costing £11.75m.
At its peak, 31 detectives worked on Maddie’s case, but the probe has been hugely scaled back in recent years and detectives reportedly made just two trips to Portugal in 2017-18.
Those still involved with the investigation are now said to spend a lot of their time eliminating known sex offenders and chasing down potential witnesses.
"Most of what Operation Grange is doing is having things set up to knock down and rule out, rather than pursuing a particular fantastic lead that could unlock it all," a source told the Mail on Sunday.
"I’m not aware of any earth-shattering lead or breakthrough imminently."
Despite a 12-year search for the missing girl, no trace of Madeleine – who would now be 16 – has been found.
In May, Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry laid gifts in her untouched bedroom today to mark her 16th birthday.
They also hosted a party to honour the missing youngster at their home in Rothley, Leics.
The McCann's wrote on the Official Find Madeleine Campaign Facebook page: "Happy 16th Birthday, Madeleine!
"We love you and we’re waiting for you and we’re never going to give up.”
A controversial new Netflix documentary re-examining Maddie’s kidnap was released last month, triggering a barrage of online abuse against Kate and Gerry by heartless trolls.
The pair, who refused to take part in the eight-hour programme series, slammed it for "potentially hindering" the search for their daughter while an active police hunt is ongoing.
Source: Read Full Article