A man who suffered from a constant nosebleed was shocked to find a 3ins leech had been living in his nose for half a month.
The 24-year-old man, whose name remains anonymous, said he had been suffering from a nosebleed for two weeks when he decided to seek help at Sanhe Hospital, southeast China.
Ear, nose and throat specialist Dr Wang Yanfeng suspected the patient had a leech living in his nasal cavity upon an initial inspection.
He confirmed his speculation when he shone a torch up the patient's nostril – and found the parasite wriggling furiously away from the light source.
Tapeworm ate away man's brain for 15 years before its finally found
Alien-like deep-sea creature captured in Alaska terrifies internet
Video shows Dr Wang spraying anaesthetics into the patient's nostrils as he tried to grab ahold of the parasite with tweezers.
Upon managing to secure the wriggling creature, he extracted the leech.
The lively parasite tried to wriggle free as it is unwittingly removed from its host.
After placing the creature in a metal bowl, it measured in at a shocking 3.15 inches long.
According to the hospital, the patient later revealed he had drunk water from a river while hiking with friends in Yunnan two weeks ago.
Dr Wang suspected he accidentally inhaled the leech larva into his nose, and the young parasite spent two weeks growing in the nasal cavity while feeding on the man's blood.
The patient is expected to make a full recovery.
Leeches are parasitic, predatory worms that have suckers at both ends of its body.
The creatures need blood in order to grow and reproduce, but are relatively harmless.
Some leeches only need to feed once a year.
Source: Read Full Article