Hero Chinese doctor who tried to warn the world about coronavirus was sent chilling letter by police before he died – The Sun

THE hero Chinese doctor who tried to warn the world about coronavirus was sent a chilling letter by the police before he died.

Doctor Li Wenlaing, 34, was told by cops 'if he refused to repent he would be punished' before he was killed by the deadly virus.

Tragically, he died on Friday after contracting coronavirus through patients he was treating, but was warned for 'spreading untruthful information online'.

Li was one of eight people being investigated by police for "rumour mongering" about the disease that has infected more than 28,000 people and killed in excess of 560.

In the letter, the police wrote: "if you insist on your views, refuse to repent and continue the illegal activity, you will be punished by the law. Do you understand?"

Dr Li Wenliang, 34, was working as an ophthalmologist at Wuhan Central Hospital when he raised the alarms to fellow medics on December 30.

His original messages, sent to about 150 medics on popular messaging platform WeChat, said: 'Seven confirmed SARS cases were found in Huanan Fruit and Seafood Market.'


He continued: "[The patients] were in quarantine in the Houhu Branch of our hospital."

"So frightening,” one recipient replied, before asking about the epidemic that began in China in 2002 and from which 800 people perished.

"Is SARS coming again?"

But in the middle of the night, officials from the health authority in the central city of Wuhan summoned Dr Li, demanding to know why he had shared the information.

Three days after this cops forced him to sign a statement about his "illegal behaviour" as authorities tried to keep the outbreak under wraps.

The letter was revealed as video showing people suspected of having coronavirus being forcefully dragged from their homes emerged and the communist regime started rounding up suffers in Wuhan and taking them to camps.

His family have since been paid £90,000 after Beijing ruled his death was a 'work injury'

He was then allowed to return to work as the infection began spreading among the population in Wuhan city and overwhelming the healthcare system.

But on January 10, despite being gagged, he took to the popular social media site Weibo to let the outside world know he was developing a fever.

By the end of the month he was diagnosed with coronavirus and today the Global Times reported he had died.

China has launched a crackdown on anyone spreading "rumours" on social media and threatened people with up to seven years in prison if they are caught.

The crackdown on spreading information outside state-run media comes after harrowing clips have emerged laying bare the severity of the outbreak.

Amnesty's regional director, Nicholas Bequelin, said: "Chinese medical professionals in China tried to sound the alarm over the virus.

"Had the government not tried to minimise the danger, the world could have responded to the spreading virus in a more timely manner.

"Censorship, discrimination and arbitrary detention have no place in the fight against the coronavirus epidemic.

"Human rights violations hinder, rather than facilitate, responses to public health emergencies, and undercut their efficiency."

Source: Read Full Article