Glam vet injected pals with horse tranquilliser ketamine on drug-fuelled weekend

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

A vet has been sacked after she admitted to injecting two friends with horse tranquilliser during a weekend drugs bender.

Catherine McGuigan, a veterinary surgeon who worked at Murray Veterinary Services in Coolup, Western Australia, spilled the beans on how she left work with a vial of ketamine which she injected into two of her friends and herself, a tribunal heard.

Ketamine is a prescription medication primarily used for induction and maintenance of anaesthesia, inducing a trance-like state while also providing pain relief, sedation, and amnesia, and is primarily used in horses and other large animals.

The drug is heavily governed by regulations and must be kept in a locked medicine cabinet in Australia.

The State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) heard how she had also supplied a friend with diazepam, a powerful muscle relaxer, telling her it would help her sleep.

She also admitted to giving herself Airway Gel, which is normally used to treat horses with respiratory problems.

McGuigan went away for the weekend with friends with who she regularly took drugs, including cocaine and ecstasy, LadBible reports.

In October this year, the group stayed at a rented apartment in Wannanup, southwest of Perth, where they were drinking and using cocaine when McGuigan retrieved the vial of ketamine from her car.

She then asked her friends how much they weighed so she could calculate a safe dose before injecting them with the drug, telling the pair to keep the drug use a secret for fear of losing her job.

  • Amazing dog with long neck looks like giraffe or dinosaur after tragic car accident

The tribunal ruled that Ms McGuigan's actions "would reasonably be regarded as disgraceful or dishonourable by registered veterinary surgeons of good repute and competency" as she was at fault.

However, records have noted that she was remorseful and has accepted responsibility for her actions.

The SAT said: "When acting in the lawful practise of her profession as a veterinary surgeon, the respondent was authorised to possess ketamine but was not authorised to administer or use ketamine on humans.

If you like this story, make sure you sign up to one of our totally-free newsletter's here.

"The respondent was required to make a clinical record of its supply but she did not do so.

"The respondent misused or improperly used, the authority granted to her as a registered veterinary surgeon.

"As a veterinary surgeon, she was only authorised to administer, supply or use ketamine, diazepam and clenbuterol hydrochloride for the treatment of an animal."

McGuigan was fined $1,000 (£540), plus $3,000 (£1,620) in costs, and was removed from the register of veterinary surgeons in Western Australia.

  • Drugs
  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article