Girl, three, died after choking ‘on a rubber zip toggle which came off her jacket’ in Asda as her parents were shopping
- Emergency services scrambled to Aintree, Liverpool store at 8.48pm on Tuesday
- The girl was taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital where she later died
- The incident is not being treated as suspicious and enquiries ongoing, police say
A three-year-old girl who died in an Asda supermarket in Liverpool choked on a rubber zip toggle, it emerged today.
Worried shoppers frantically called emergency services including two ambulances and a Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) to the Aintree store on Ormskirk Road at around 8.48pm on Tuesday night.
The girl, who was shopping with her parents at the time, is understood to have been chewing on the toggle but then accidentally swallowed it when it came apart from her jacket zip.
Her father desperately tried to remove it from her throat by slapping her on her back as paramedics raced to the store, according to the Sun.
The toddler was taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital but tragically medics were unable to save her.
Worried shoppers frantically called emergency services including two ambulances and a Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) to the Aintree store on Ormskirk Road at around 8.48pm on Tuesday
One unnamed worker said: ‘All the staff are devastated. It’s just so sad for her parents. How do you get over something like that?’
Another worker said staff were ‘still in shock’ after hearing about the tragedy.
Police confirmed yesterday the incident is not being treated as suspicious and enquiries are ongoing.
A Merseyside police spokesperson said: ‘We can confirm that emergency services were in Aintree following an incident last night, Tuesday 10 August.
‘At around 9.50pm, the ambulance service attended reports of a three-year-old girl choking inside Asda on Ormskirk Road.
‘The child was taken to hospital but sadly pronounced dead a short time later. The family are being supported by officers at this sad time.
‘The incident is not currently being treated as suspicious and enquiries are ongoing.
‘A file is in the process of being prepared for the coroner.’
The girl was taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital but tragically medics were unable to save her
A North West Ambulance Service spokesperson said: ‘Two emergency ambulances and a member of our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) responded to a 999 call that a child was suffering a medical emergency at ASDA on Ormskirk Road, Aintree.
‘The call was made at 20.48 [on Tuesday evening]. The patient was transported to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.’
Source: Read Full Article