The report suggests coronavirus lockdowns have led to 1.3 million extra patients being added to lists to see specialists for conditions ranging from arthritis to cancer.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
The Sunday Times reveals that figure will be added to the record backlog of 4.4 million people already listed as waiting in February.
The analysis by Medefer, an NHS healthcare provider to the NHS, estimates 3.5 million people will need an outpatient appointment when services resume.
And it fears the NHS waiting list could reach 7.2 million by the end of September – with one in eight people waiting for treatment.
Dr Chaand Nagpaul, chair of the British Medical Association, said the findings back-up fears those with non-Covid-19 symptoms were being neglected.
He said: "Many ill patients are not getting the care they so desperately need now and, crucially, risking their conditions getting worse, and with some maybe even dying as a result."
Officials are increasingly worried about the impact of fighting the global outbreak, which led to millions of appointments being scrapped.
Niall Dickson, chief executive of the NHS Confederation, which represents organisations across the health service, said resuming services would be "more complex and challenging" than setting up the NHS for Covid-19.
He said: "This is not just about going back to normal we are still fighting the virus, and building parallel services alongside this, while protecting staff and patients, is going to be challenging."
Last month we reported how two million NHS operations have been cancelled due to the outbreak, sparking fears of a second healthcare crisis.
Four million people are waiting for procedures such as hip and knee replacements and cataract and hernia operations as well as outpatient treatments, it has been reported.
More than two million operations have been put on hold after non-urgent surgery was cancelled for at least three months.
Source: Read Full Article