CN Rail blockade in northern B.C. taken down as province, feds agree to meeting with chiefs

A rail blockade of the main CN Rail line in northern B.C. has been taken down after the provincial and federal governments agreed to meet with the Gitxsan and Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs.

One of those chiefs, Chief Spookwx, told Global News Thursday afternoon that he was helping to take down the blockade on the tracks near New Hazelton, which had been in place since Saturday afternoon.

The blockade is one of several that have been set up on rail lines across the country in solidarity with the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs and their supporters, who are opposing construction of the Coastal GasLink pipeline on their ancestral lands near Houston, B.C.

Chief Spookwx said he has received letters from both Premier John Horgan and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that were sent to the hereditary chiefs of both clans, and has agreed to take down the blockade until the meeting takes place.

“It all depends on them.”

The province has agreed to send Indigenous Relations Minister Scott Fraser to the meeting.

The Prime Minister’s Office has agreed to send federal Minister of Crown–Indigenous Relations Carolyn Bennett to the meeting. The details are still being worked out on when the meeting will take place.

Source: Read Full Article