Autistic boy, 8, who died in freezing garage was kept there by NYPD dad because he ‘kept peeing’ himself, brother says – The Sun

AN autistic boy who froze to death was locked in a garage at night by his dad because he constantly wet himself, his brother claims.

Thomas Valva, eight, died of hypothermia on Jan. 17 after allegedly being beaten, starved and locked outside by his NYPD cop father Michael, 40.

Mr Valva and his fiancé, Angela Pollina, 42, were both charged for the second-degree murder of the child in Suffolk County, New York.

Now the boy’s mother Justyna Zubko-Valva has posted a video on YouTube showing Thomas’ brother Andrew detailing the alleged abuse the children suffered at the hands of their father.

Andrew tells his mom, who is divorced from Mr Valva, that Andrew and his older brother Anthony, 10, were made to sleep on the garage floor with “no pillow and no blanket either”.

He claims they were locked outside “every day” by their father and his partner.

Asked by Justyna why the boys were kept in the garage, Andrew says “because they kept peeing on themselves.”


He said that “because in the middle of the night, they wanted to go pee and mom and dad wouldn't allow them.”

Andrew continued that they “kept on peeing in their pants because they weren't allowed to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.”

Many of the claims the child makes in the video are already detailed in the charges against Valva and Pollina.

Justyna interviewed her son in front of a witness, the New York Daily News reports.

Grieving mother Justyna Zubko-Valva has revealed just days after her boy's funeral that she worried about little Thomas and his brother, Anthony, after their dad received temporary custody over the children.

Valva and his fiancee Angela Pollina were granted custody over all three boys in September 2017, barring Justyna from seeing her kids.

But Justyna has gathered documents, obtained by the New York Daily News, indicating that child welfare workers from Child Protective Services ignored and neglected signs of the abuse from the moment they were notified in December 2017.

One caseworker, Michelle Clark, would not take any evidence of the abuse.

Justyna wrote: "She informed me she will not take any evidence from me. If I try to provide my evidence to her, she is not going to take them into consideration."

Not a single one of the five reports Clark submitted between October 31, 2017 and January 15, 2018 said that the children were "in immediate danger."

The NYPD officer's new lawyer John LoTurco argued Thursday that what happened "was a nightmarish accidental death and clearly not a murder."

"Michael Valva is now being portrayed as a monster, when in actuality he's a caring father of three boys and his fiancees' three daughters," LoTurco said in the Long Island courtroom, according to Newsday.

Older brother Anthony, 10, was also sleeping in the garage, according to Newsday. Both are on the autism spectrum.

Valva was suspended without pay by the NYPD following his son's death.

He is currently confined to his cell for 23 hours a day at the Suffolk County Jail after he was placed on suicide watch.

Source: Read Full Article