Daily Star TV gives you all the latest interviews and spoilers and Ed Gleave will send you telly’s hot takes straight to your inbox every Sunday
Ofcom will not be investigating ITV's broadcast of the Meghan Markle and Prince Harry interview with Oprah Winfrey, which aired earlier this year.
More than 5,900 people complained to Ofcom about the interview, with many saying that it included inaccurate and misleading allegations about not only the Royal family, but the British press.
Now, Ofcom has confirmed that it will not be investigating the broadcast, which aired in the US first on CBS.
The bombshell interview aired on March 8 in the UK and it immediately attracted thousands of complaints.
Ofcom said at the time: "We are assessing the complaints against our broadcasting rules, but are yet to decide whether to not to investigate."
Off the back of the interview, Piers Morgan spoke on Good Morning Britain about the claims the Meghan made about her time as a member of the Royal Family.
He criticised the claims she made and said he "did not believe" what she had said.
That, in turn, attracted more than 57,000 Ofcom complaints – the most in a decade.
The controversial host tweeted in response: "Only 57,000? I've had more people than that come up and congratulate me in the street for what I said. The vast majority of Britons are right behind me."
Piers quit his job as presenter on the ITV show following mounting pressure from the public and behind the scenes.
But earlier this week, Ofcom confirmed that he had not broken their broadcast guidelines with what he said, after they investigated.
Piers shared the result of the investigation on Twitter and cheekily added: "Do I get my job back?"
However he has now made it clear he has no plans to return to Good Morning Britain – even if he was offered the comeback many viewers are so desperate for.
"I put that post on social media asking if I'd get my job back to prove a point," the 56-year-old told the Daily Mail.
"I wouldn't go back, not without a public apology and I'm not going to get one."
Earlier this week Piers also claimed that Meghan had personally contacted ITV chief Dame Carolyn McCall and demanded "his head on a plate" because of what he had said.
It's yet to be confirmed what Piers will be doing next, but he has teased that his "global" project will be revealed in the next few weeks.
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
- Meghan Markle
- Prince Harry
- Oprah Winfrey
Source: Read Full Article