LIONEL MESSI is staying at Barcelona – and the Catalan giants want to partner him with Memphis Depay.
But the Argentine could have ended up in France, with PSG sporting director Leonardo revealing they had considered a move for the six-time Ballon d'Or winner.
Sign up to play Dream Team 2020/21 now
- It's completely free to play
- Play the tradtional Season game as well as Draft
- There's a £100k jackpot up for grabs across 2020/21
- SIGN UP TO PLAY HERE
Get all the latest transfer news, updates and gossip here…
Everton have officially announced the signing of James Rodriguez from Real Madrid.
The Colombian joins Allan at Goodison Park as boss Carlo Ancelotti continues his revolution at the club.
COUT ME OUT
Former Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho WILL be given a chance at Barcelona next season in a blow to Arsenal, reports claim.
The Brazilian had been expected to depart Camp Nou, having spent last season on loan at Bayern Munich.
But according to Marca, the 28-year-old will now only be sold if the club receive a “substantial” offer for his services.
Coutinho is expected to be played in central midfield by Ronald Koeman.
ON THE MEND
Arsenal are interested in signing Portuguese wonderkid Nuno Mendes, according to reports.
The 18-year-old made his breakthrough at Sporting Lisbon last season, appearing nine times for the Primeira Liga giants.
And according to O Jogo, the Gunners are hoping to pounce to sign the highly-rated full-back.
Manchester United want to make THREE more signings before the transfer window shuts.
Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho remains Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's No1 target.
And the Manchester Evening News says Bournemouth and Wales attacker David Brooks has been “under consideration” for more than a year.
The MEN also report how Old Trafford chiefs have been mightily impressed by 21-year-old Dynamo Kiev and Ukraine star Vitaliy Mykolenko.
RY ON TIME
Ryan Fraser became Newcastle’s second signing of the day after joining former Bournemouth team-mate Callum Wilson through the door.
Fraser arrives on a free transfer after his Cherries contract expired in June.
The Scottish winger, 26,said: “I'm absolutely buzzing for it – I came down to see the place the other day and it was all just good things; the manager, the place, the fans, the messages I've been getting.
“It was just a no-brainer, really, to play in such a big stadium with such passionate fans, and being back up in the north again is big as well.
“So I'm really looking forward to it and I just can’t wait to show everyone what I can do, help the team and help us get back to where we belong.”
HOLD ON A MINUTE
Arsenal have changed their mind on loaning out defender Rob Holding, reports claim.
The 24-year-old had appeared all set to leave for Newcastle United on a season-long deal.
But according to Sky Sports, the Gunners now want him to stick around and fight for a place in the team.
DAN AND DUSTED
Veteran striker Danny Graham has agreed to re-join Sunderland on a free transfer after being released by Blackburn.
Having signed for £5million in 2013, Graham managed just one goal in 42 matches for the Black Cats.
But boss Phil Parkinson has offered the 35-year-old a one-year deal to compete with fellow forwards Will Grigg, Charlie Wyke and Aiden O’Brien.
Graham scored four goals in the Championship last season before leaving Blackburn.
Lionel Messi has arrived at Barcelona training for the first time since his epic summer transfer saga.
The Argentine forward was seen arriving at Ciutat Esportiva on Monday after announcing he is reluctantly staying put despite handing in a transfer request last month.
Messi arrived 90 minutes early for the session with new boss Ronald Koeman.
He underwent medical tests on Sunday to make sure he was OK to come back.
And Messi was the first Barcelona player to arrive for Monday's behind-closed-doors session.
MIK'S HANDS TIED
Mikel Arteta is ‘resigned’ to Mesut Ozil staying at Arsenal for the final year of his contract, which could see him feature in the Gunners’ season opener against Fulham.
The Spaniard has been non-comittal over Ozil in recent months, but he may be tied to the German for one final season, before the 2014 World Cup winner leaves for a free next summer.
The former Real Madrid midfielder is far and away the highest earner at Arsenal and it would be frustrating for Arteta that a contract has not been agreed with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
According to the Evening Standard, Ozil is preparing to feature in Arsenal’s Premier League season opener against Fulham on Saturday.
RB Leipzig are close to landing Manchester City's Angelino on loan for another season – with an obligation to buy added to the deal.
City want around £18million for the Spanish left-back, according to Goal journalist Ronan Murphy.
The deal is all but complete, as Leipzig and Angelino have agreed personal terms, while negotiations with City could be finalised during the week.
After his side's Champions League exit in August, Leipzig manager Julian Nagelsmann was optimistic about keeping Angelino.
In an interview with Bild he said: “I am very confident that we can reach an agreement with Manchester City.
“Both clubs are out of the Champions League and the focus is no longer on the tournament.”
Lucas Torreira, Sokratis and Emile Smith-Rowe will miss Arsenal’s return to pre-season training, according to reports.
The trio are all being linked with moves away from North London, with the latter looking at another loan stint.
Smith-Rowe, 20, impressed on loan at Huddersfield last season and could be set for another stint in the Championship.
Sokratis is looking at a switch to Napoli as a “replacement” for Manchester City-bount Kalidou Koulibaly and Torreira is attracting interest from Torino and Fiorentina.
Aston Villa want to BUY Rhian Brewster from Liverpool as their search for a striker goes into overdrive, reports ALAN NIXON.
Villa boss Dean Smith has made an inquiry for the 20-year-old Kop kid – who starred for Swansea on loan last season – and he has the funds to win the race.
SunSport told you Sheffield United also approached Liverpool with offers to take the England Under-21 attacker either in a big money deal or as a season-long loan.
Villa are now frantic in their hunt after missing out on Callum Wilson to Newcastle in a £20m move.
Smith's side have also hit brick walls in their pursuits for Chelsea's Tammy Abraham and Celtic's Odsonne Edouard.
Brewster might cost around £20m in all, a fee that Villa would pay along with their rivals for his promising talents.
Gareth Southgate has confirmed Mason Greenwood and Phil Foden did not bring girls back to the England hotel, but met them outside the building.
Southgate said: “Nothing has happened in the areas that we occupy in the hotel. We’re still getting to the depths of all the information.
“This was brought to my attention a couple of hours before training, I’m still getting to grips with some of the detail.
“What’s clear is: There was a breach of the Covid guidelines, we’ve spent such a long time getting those measures in place and the whole squad have been following that to the letter.
“We’ve had four tests in the period where we have been together and our staff have done such a good job of keeping that secure and tight.
“We have no alternative but to do what we’re doing.”
Chelsea star Ethan Ampadu is set to join Sheffield United on a season-long loan as he desperately searches for more game time, writes ALAN NIXON.
Boss Chris Wilder looks to have pulled off a coup by landing the versatile Welsh prospect, who will join his squad and give them top class competition.
Ampadu can play midfield or at the back and will get the chance of regular games after a frustrating spell with Red Bull Leipzig.
Chelsea want to see Ampadu tested and the player also needs to be involved at a senior level to fulfil his potential.
The former Exeter City star has been playing more for Wales than any club side and was a class act in their win over Finland.
Dragons boss Ryan Giggs recently said he thinks Ampadu can learn from new Blues signing Thiago Silva.
IT'S A PROBLEM OF MONEY
Arsenal remain an option for Sergio Reguilon, according to reports in Spain.
Spanish journalist Alvaro Montero told Sky Sports News: “There are two options, Arsenal and Manchester United, also Sevilla here in Spain.
“Real Madrid wants to sell him but with a buying back option so in case he has a good season like he did in Sevilla, Real Madrid can sign him again next year.
“The question is that the player, Sergio Reguillon, likes the idea of playing in the Premier League – United and Arsenal will be the options.
“But it is a problem of money.”
TELL ME MORE
Alex Telles’ representatives have reportedly flown to Manchester to finalise a move to United, according to reports in Portugal.
The 27-year-old left-back is out of contract next summer and would cost United around £27million.
A Bola report that Sevilla is also an option for the Brazilian.
Ironically, that would be to fill the position vacated by Sergio Reguillon, who has been told he can find a new club by Real Madrid.
Which of the two players ends up at Old Trafford will be a fascinating story.
Either way, it will give Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at least four full-back options, with Timothy Fosu-Mensah being used as a makeshift full-back against Crystal Palace last season.
Sevilla are OUT of the race for Sergio Reguilon after being priced out by Manchester United.
The LaLiga club were willing to pay just under £18million, while United are happy to stump up just shy of £27m – meaning he will not return to the club where he played on loan last season.
According to Spanish journalist Senen Escalante, United are ready to offer the player more money in wages too.
It appears the deal for the Spaniard is taking a step closer, after he played 90 minutes in Spain’s 4-0 win over Ukraine.
Zinedine Zidane has Ferland Mendy and Marcelo ahead of Reguilon in the Real Madrid squad and has told the player he can find a new club.
The 23-year-old appeared to pick up an injury in Spain's match last night, but returned to the fold to complete the full 90 minutes for Luis Enrique's side.
FAREWELL OLD FRIENDS
Callum Wilson has said goodbye to Bournemouth in an emotional letter.
Callum Wilson has completed his £20million move to Newcastle from Bournemouth on a four-year deal – with Ryan Fraser set to follow later today, writes OSCAR PAUL.
The England striker arrived on Tyneside in Mike Ashley’s helicopter yesterday and finished his medical at St. James’ Park earlier this morning.
Aston Villa were also keen on Wilson, but the former Cherries star made it clear he wanted to join Newcastle.
Wilson said: “It's a massive club with great history. Along the years, they've had great strikers so if I can emulate half of what they've done, I'd like to attempt that.
“I believe in my ability as a player. As a striker it's important to set yourself goals long term and short term, and I'm hoping to achieve them.
“With the players around me, I believe we can get the goals we need as a team and I want to help to contribute to that.”
WILSON'S THE MAN
Newcastle have unveiled the signing of Callum Wilson from Bournemouth.
England duo Mason Greenwood and Phil Foden had girls back at their hotel rooms after the win over Iceland, according to reports.
The Premier League stars did not train with the Three Lions squad today after appearing to breach the coronavirus guidelines.
According to DV, the two girls posted photographs of Greenwood and Foden to Snapchat.
But they refused to comment, as they said: “We do not want to discuss this. We don't want to get them in trouble.”
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ON THIS BREAKING STORY
FAT NEW DEAL
Ansu Fati’s new Barcelona contract will be negotiated by his new agent – Jorge Mendes.
According to Marca, the Spanish teen sensation became his country’s youngest-ever player to score for the national team as he struck in the 4-0 win over Ukraine.
Incredibly, he does not yet even have a professional contract at the Nou Camp, even though he signed an extension in December.
There was an agreement in place midway through the season that he would be able to negotiate a new deal during the close season.
That conversation has yet to happen, which is staggering when you consider his contract ends in 2022 and he is the hottest young prospect in world football.
Now, under-fire Barca president Josep Bartomeu will have to sit across the table from football’s most famous agent, Mendes, when Fati starts negotiating his new deal.
SERG IN ACTIVITY
United fans are going wild after Sergio Reguilon changed his social media profiles.
The Spaniard has removed any reference to Real Madrid or Sevilla from his Instagram profile, despite having them on there previously.
United are favourites to sign Reguilon, 23, after he helped knock Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side out of the Europa League last month.
Does this point to an imminent move to Old Trafford?
Stoke’s Oghenekaro Etebo is set to join Galatasaray.
The midfielder, 24, spent last season on loan at Getafe.
Neymar and Willian convinced Thiago Silva to join Chelsea as the centre-back left PSG at the end of his contract.
The 35-year-old joined Frank Lampard’s side on a Bosman after quitting the Parc des Princes.
But according to the Telegraph, it was his Brazil pals who convinced him to ignore advances from former club AC Milan and join Chelsea.
Source: Read Full Article