Comedian Andrew Lawrence deletes his Twitter account after gigs cancelled over racist tweets to England players

A COMEDIAN who said black England players are "bad at penalties" has deleted his Twitter account after a string of his shows were cancelled.

Andrew Lawrence made racist remarks on Twitter about the Lions following their heartbreaking Euro 2020 defeat on Sunday.


He initially told followers on the now-deleted account: "All I'm saying is the white guys scored."

The 41-year-old, who has previously featured on the BBC, then tweeted:  "I can see that this has offended a lot of people, and I'm sorry that black guys are bad at penalties."

In another, he said of Marcus Rashford: "Rather he'd practised his penalties and the kids had gone hungry."

As of this morning, the comedian's Twitter account appears to have been deleted after the tweets provoked a furious reaction.

Rashford, 23, was made an MBE last year for his efforts to feed the UK's most vulnerable youngsters during the pandemic.

Following a backlash, venues began pulling Lawrence's planned shows – while he was ditched by his agents.

In a post on Twitter, RBM Comedy – which represents high profile stars including Miles Jupp and Hugh Dennis – said: "RBM no longer represent Andrew Lawrence."

'RATHER KIDS HAD GONE HUNGRY'

Chesham Comedy Club in Buckinghamshire is among the venues to pull out of a show.

Bosses told the comedian on his now-deleted Twitter account: "I know you won't particularly care, but we at Chesham Comedy Club will not tolerate racism in any form, so please consider your booking with us cancelled."

He was also due to play in Maidstone, Kent, in October, but that gig too has been cancelled after the venue said: "Andrew Lawrence has used social media platforms to express remarks that do not reflect the values of Parkwood Theatres."

Elsewhere, a Hampshire arts centre pulled a gig for January 2022 after labelling his tweets "racist".

Worcester's Huntingdon Hall, Eastleigh's Concorde Club, Rosehill Theatre in Cumbria and Scallywags Comedy Club in Gloucestershire have also cancelled dates on Lawrence's forthcoming tour.

Lawrence rose to comedy fame in 2003 after finishing runner-up in the Edinburgh Fringe's So You Think You're Funny competition.

He followed-up by scooping top prize in the 2004 BBC New Act of the Year Competition.

He's also written and performed four series for BBC Radio 4, including the 2015 sitcom There Is No Escape.

It comes after Boris Johnson, Harry Kane, Gareth Southgate and Prince William blasted vile racists who targeted Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho after their penalty misses.

Racist morons began attacking three of the team's black players with monkey emojis and vile abuse following England's defeat.

Crawl back under the rock from which you emerged.

A mural of Rashford in his hometown was also defaced.

The Duke of Cambridge, who serves as president of The FA, tweeted: "I am sickened by the racist abuse aimed at England players after last night’s match.

"It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behaviour.  

"It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable. W."

Kane sent a clear message to those behind the disgusting abuse by telling them: "We don't want you."

And the PM used a national address on Covid to tell those responsible to "crawl back under the rock from which you emerged".

Meanwhile, the Met Police confirmed they'll be investigating racist posts.

And firm Savills has suspended a worker after racist abuse was sent from his Twitter account.

A post from Andrew Bone's Twitter account branded the players the N word and claimed the England stars had "ruined it for us" after the loss.

Estate agents Savills confirmed Bone was being investigated over the tweets this morning – before later adding he had since been suspended.

'OUR TWITTERS WERE HACKED BY RACISTS'

But Bone's family claimed to The Sun that his account had been hacked – and he had reported the matter to police.

They also say Bone is "not racist" and shut down his accounts when he began receiving messages late last night.

Another Twitter user also claims his account was hacked after it was used to send racist messages.

Children's football coach Nick Scott, 50, says he had nothing to do with a vile tweet sent to Rashford.

The dad-of-two from Powick, Worcestershire, also denied sending a sickening homophobic tweet aimed at the England women's football team.

A message posted to his account Scottywwfc said: "Marcus Rashford that MBE needs burning ya fake.

"Pack them bags and get to ya own country."

The Wolves fan told Sun Online: "I didn't send it mate – I've been hacked. I didn't post it.

"The first I learned about it was this morning when I woke up. I'm seeing my solicitor in the morning. I don't know who hacked me."



    Source: Read Full Article