Hero girl, 7, saves entire family’s lives after remembering lesson from school

An heroic little girl saved her family from deadly poisoning by remembering a lesson from school in the middle of the night.

Quick-thinking Jaydee-Lee Dummett woke up to find her little brother Leylan, four, was confused and disorientated.

The brave seven year old spotted the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning after having a gas safety lesson at school.

She leapt into action when she saw her house carbon monoxide alarm turn from green to red – and even remembered the gas emergency phone number.

Mum Lindy Burke, 30, said: "I couldn't be prouder – she saved our lives.

"From being involved in a simple lesson on gas safety, she knew exactly what to look for.

"Looking back, without this lesson I genuinely don't think we'd still be alive.

"After seeing her brother so confused, she quickly looked for other tell-tale signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and then, like it was second nature, she reeled off the gas emergency number. I couldn't believe it."

Engineers rushed to the home in Fochriw, Caerphilly, in South Wales to make the gas supply safe.

They have now praised Jaydee-Lee for saving her family.

Sean Ward, a Wales & West Utilities emergency engineer, said: "The actions of Jaydee-Lee have saved her family's lives and she should be commended.

"From speaking to her that night it was clear that she took in such a lot of vital information from the gas safety session which is fantastic."

A spokesperson at Jaydee-Lee's school, Fochriw Primary, said she had become a "role-model" for other pupils.

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills 50 people in the UK every year and leaves a further 200 seriously ill.

Source: Read Full Article