Dog owner issues giant hogweed warning after pet suffers horror burns on face from plant

Giant hogweed: Gardener reveals why plant should be avoided

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Winston, a four-year-old flat-coated retriever, developed painful burns on his nose and left eye after sniffing around a suspected giant hogweed plant while out walking earlier this month. He is an assistance dog for his owner Barry O’Connell, 75, who has been left devastated.

Mr O’Connell from Clacton, Essex, is now urging other dog owners to be vigilant about the plant, which is found throughout the UK.

Winston has been put on antibiotics and needs to wear a cone around his head while his injuries heal.

Barry, an ex-military dog handler, said: “Looking at him like this is like seeing a Rolls Royce breaking down.

“We live in a popular seaside area.

“You imagine letting your dog or children out and then they run into something like this and it’s game over.

“I just can’t understand why there aren’t any warning signs.

“Not to scare people but to educate them.”

Giant hogweed is a common, cow parsley-like plant that is often found along hedgerows in the UK.

DON’T MISS
Dog horror warning as Pets at Home withdraws products after dog dies [INSIGHT]
Rescuers refusing to give up on dog already returned once [ANALYSIS]
Dog waits for home for 400 days as adopters put off by baldness [PICTURES]

The sap of the plant can cause burns to dogs and humans, with blistering potentially lasting for years, according to the Woodland Trust.

The charity advises avoiding physical contact with the plant where possible.

Source: Read Full Article